What Should I Know About Raising Red Sex Linked Chickens?

I’ve heard that Apple Cider Vinegar can be good for their health. Any thoughts on that?

Absolutely! Apple Cider Vinegar can boost their immune system and help with digestion. Just a tablespoon in their water can do wonders!

Housing is also important. Make sure they have enough space to roam and a clean, dry area to nest. Overcrowding can lead to stress and health issues.

7 Likes

Thanks for the tip! What common health issues should I be aware of?

7 Likes

Look out for respiratory issues, mites, and pasteurellosis. Regular check-ups and a clean coop are key to prevention.

6 Likes

Do they require any vaccinations or special treatments?

Generally, vaccinations aren’t necessary unless there’s an outbreak in your area. Regular worming is good practice though!

On a lighter note, do these chickens have personality? I can imagine a flock of red birds bringing some fun to my backyard!

Oh, they’re quite lively and curious! They can be very entertaining to watch, especially when they interact with each other. I always enjoy their antics!

That’s awesome! Any favorite moments you’ve had with your chickens?

One time, my chickens all lined up at the fence when I was grilling. It was like they were demanding a taste! Definitely brightened my day.

They can definitely be cheeky but don’t forget, consistency is key in their care. I’m here if anyone has questions!

Thanks for the support! I feel much more prepared now.

I’ve raised red sex-linked chickens for a couple of years now. They are great layers, typically producing around 280 eggs per year! Their temperament is friendly, which makes handling them easy. Keep them in a stress-free environment for the best results.

That’s great to hear! How do you maintain their environment to keep stress levels low? I’ve heard that can affect egg production significantly.

4 Likes

I find that diet plays a huge role in egg production. A balanced feed with plenty of calcium and protein encourages higher quality eggs. Has anyone experimented with different feeds?

2 Likes

Yes! We’ve tried different layers feed and noticed a difference. The hens really love oyster shell mixed in; it boosts the shell quality. What do you typically feed them?

I’ve switched feeds a few times. Currently using a 16% protein layer feed which seems to work wonders! The hens’ feathers are shinier too. Have you noticed any changes in their plumage with certain feeds?

Absolutely! I also believe that environment matters. I separate my layers from any roosters to ensure they feel safe and focused on laying.

Interesting point! I haven’t separated mine, but I do notice they lay best in comfortable conditions—plenty of space and clean bedding. What’s the ideal coop setup to maximize production?