Anyone tried infrared lights for chickens? Need advice!

I’m currently managing a flock of chickens and I’ve been doing some research on infrared lights as a heat source for brooding. I understand that these lights can potentially offer benefits over traditional white heat lamps, but I’m looking to gather some insights from others who have experience with this.

Why Infrared Lights?

I’ve come across several claims that infrared heat lamps can be more effective for warming chickens without causing as much stress compared to white lights. Specifically, I’m interested in:

• Safety: Are there any safety concerns I should be aware of?
  • Health Benefits: Have you noticed any differences in chicken behavior or health when using infrared lights?
  • Thermal Management: How have you managed temperature fluctuations using these lamps?

Potential Downsides

I’ve seen some discussions about the dangers of brooder heat lamps in general, and I’m cautious about making the switch. What are the main risks? Have any of you encountered issues with overheating or eye strain in your birds?

Recommendations Needed

If you have recommendations on brands or specific products that are designed for poultry, I would love to hear them! Also, any tips on setting up these infrared lights safely in a brooding space would be super helpful.

I appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks in advance for your help!

4 Likes

I’ve been using infrared lights in my coop for a year now, and they work wonders in keeping my chickens warm during winter. It’s essential for their health!

7 Likes

I totally agree! Keeping them warm helps them produce more eggs too. Warm chickens lay better!

5 Likes

I’ve also noticed improved egg production since I installed infrared lights. Chickens need that light exposure!

That’s interesting, Sarah! How many hours of light do you provide to them each day?

I let them have about 15 hours of light during winter. It seems to work well for my flock!

1 Like

I’ve read that infrared lights can improve overall health by reducing stress. Anyone had a noticeable difference?

Yes! My chickens are more active and happy since I started using them—definitely mine seem less stressed.

7 Likes

I wonder about the energy costs. Do infrared lights consume a lot?

They are pretty energy efficient! I run mine for several hours a day, and it hasn’t significantly increased my bills.

That’s good to know! I might give them a try for our coop. Any brands you’d recommend?

I’ve had success with the Heat Lamp brand—it heats well without using much energy. Just make sure to check the wattage.

Thanks, Russell! I’ll look into that. Safety is also a concern, right?

Definitely! Make sure you have a sturdy fixture, and keep it away from bedding to prevent fires. Safety first!

Exactly! I feel like chicken parents have to be cautious. But I’m excited to try out infrared lights. Anyone else using them?

You won’t regret it! My hens have been thriving with the added heat and light.

I’m a bit skeptical. Are there any downsides? Too much heat can be dangerous, right?

As long as you monitor the temperature, there shouldn’t be major issues. Just ensure it’s appropriate for your coop size.

That makes sense. I’m definitely interested in trying it out now. Thanks for all the info, everyone!

I’ve been using infrared lights for my chickens for about a year now, and I’ve tried various wattages. I recommend looking at 250-watt bulbs as they provide great heat without excessive energy use.