How Much Safeguard Goat Dewormer Should I Give My Chickens?

That’s helpful info! How does Safeguard compare to traditional options like ivermectin?

Ivermectin is often more targeted but can be pricier. Safeguard seems to offer a broader spectrum, which is great for a mixed flock.

I’ve used both and found Safeguard has fewer side effects than ivermectin in my experience!

What kind of side effects did you see with ivermectin? I’m a bit concerned about that.

Mostly lethargy and occasional digestive upset. Safeguard has been much gentler on my flock overall.

Good to know! Is it safe for laying hens?

3 Likes

Yes, it’s considered safe for laying hens, but always observe your birds after treatment.

6 Likes

How long should I wait before I can collect eggs after treating with Safeguard?

You should wait about 24 hours after treatment before resuming egg collection. This ensures their safety and quality.

6 Likes

I’ve found that Safeguard also tends to be less expensive than some other options. It fits well in a budget!

True that! It’s nice when we can save some money while keeping our hens healthy.

Any chance we could see some scientific data comparing these dewormers? I’m curious about efficacy stats.

That’s an interesting point! Let me look into some studies and I’ll share what I find.

I’ve noticed my chickens appear more lethargic than usual. What are some signs of worm infestations to look for?

Common signs include weight loss, decreased egg production, and pale combs. If you see any of these, it might be time for routine deworming.

I usually check their poop for unusual quantities or consistency. Worms can cause a change in droppings. Anyone else do this?

Absolutely! Also, watch for any signs of feathers being pulled out or chickens pecking at themselves more than usual.

I read that routine deworming helps prevent infestations. Anyone have a schedule they follow?

I typically deworm every 3-4 months and use Safeguard Goat Dewormer. It’s really effective and easy to administer!

Is there a particular dosage of Safeguard Dewormer you recommend for chickens, or does it vary?