How Much Safeguard Goat Dewormer Should I Give My Chickens?

Seeking Advice on Safeguard Goat Dewormer for Chickens

I’m looking for some detailed advice on using Safeguard goat dewormer (fenbendazole) for my chickens. I’ve heard that it’s effective for treating various types of worms, but I want to ensure I’m administering the right dosage and using it safely. Here are some questions I have:

Dosage Recommendations

• What is the correct dosage for chickens?

• I’ve seen varying suggestions online, ranging from 0.5 to 1.0 ml per kilogram. Which one should I follow, and how do I convert that based on the weight of my flock?
  • Is there a difference in dosage for different types of worms?

• Should I adjust the dosage depending on whether it’s roundworms, tapeworms, or others?

Administration Methods

• How do I administer the dewormer effectively?
    • Is it best to mix it with their feed, or can I give it directly? How can I make sure all the chickens get their dose?

Safety and Efficacy

• Is Safeguard safe to use on laying hens?

• I read something about withdrawal periods for eggs. What should I keep in mind regarding egg production and safety?
  • Any side effects I should be aware of?

• Are there any common reactions I should watch for after administering the treatment?

Treatment Duration

• How long should I continue treatment?
    • Is this a one-time treatment or should I repeat it after a certain period?

By sharing your experiences and recommendations, you could really help out! I want to ensure I’m doing this right to keep my chickens healthy and happy. Any insights or personal experiences would be much appreciated!

8 Likes

For chickens, the typical dosage of Safeguard Goat Dewormer is around 0.23 mL to 0.5 mL per pound of body weight. It’s crucial to weigh your chickens before administering any medication to avoid overdose.

I’ve been using it, and I usually lean towards the lower end of that range just to be safe with overdosing.

I agree with that approach. I prefer giving them a little less, especially if they’re on the lighter side. It helps minimize any potential side effects.

Just a heads up, I read that the frequency of administration should be once every 6 months for effective deworming. Plan accordingly based on your flock size.

How do you all manage the dosage calculation? My chickens are a mix of sizes, so it gets tricky!

2 Likes

I have a scale just for weighing my birds. It makes it so much easier to calculate the correct dosage.

Investing in a good scale makes all the difference! Just be sure to keep track of each bird’s weight.

So, what do you do if you notice any side effects? I’ve read that some chickens can be sensitive to medications.

In that case, I usually consult my vet and sometimes just keep a close eye on them for a day or two.

Definitely keep observing them. It’s fascinating how sensitive these little guys can be! They won’t always show symptoms right away.

I’m not a fan of using dewormers unless absolutely necessary. Anyone else feel the same? Sometimes I question if it’s worth the risk.

7 Likes

I understand your concern, but sometimes the risks of not treating them can be higher. It’s about finding that balance.

2 Likes

It’s really important to make informed choices. The health of your flock can depend on it!

Just a reminder, consulting your vet before treating is always a wise step. They can provide tailored advice based on your flock’s needs.

8 Likes

I often joke that treating chickens is like parenting; sometimes you need to take a risk for their well-being! Anyone else ever feel this way?

Right? I swear my chickens have me wrapped around their wings. Lol!

I’ve been using Safeguard Goat Dewormer for my chickens and find it effective. It’s easy to administer and cost-efficient compared to others. Just be cautious with the dosage!

That’s great to hear! How do you determine the dosage? I’ve heard mixed things.

The general dosage for chickens is about 0.5 ml per kg of body weight. It’s good to follow up with fecal tests to ensure it works well!

4 Likes