Need Help with My 2 Week Old Turkey Poult!

I’m reaching out to the community because I have a 2-week-old turkey poult that’s been showing some concerning signs lately. I’ve noticed that it seems a bit lethargic and there’s some mild swelling around its eyes. I’m really worried and want to do everything I can to make sure it stays healthy and happy.

Here’s what I’ve noticed:

• Lethargy: The poult isn’t as active as its siblings. It often sits alone and seems uninterested in food.
  • Swelling: There’s a slight puffiness around its eyes, but no discharge or other illness signs.
  • Feeding: I’ve been giving them a starter feed specifically designed for turkeys but I’m not sure if I’m doing it right. Is there anything specific I should be adding or avoiding at this age?
  • Temperature Control: My setup is at around 95°F, but I’m not sure if that’s still the right temperature as they grow. Should I adjust it?

Questions:

1. Has anyone experienced similar issues with their young turkeys?
  2. What are the signs I should look for when checking their health?
  3. Any advice on what to feed them or how to improve their living conditions?
  4. Should I be worried about the symptoms I’m seeing?

Your thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated! I want to ensure I’m providing the best care possible for my little turkey. Thank you in advance for your help!

Congratulations on your new turkey poult! At 2 weeks old, they need a high-protein starter feed designed for turkeys. Make sure it’s at least 28% protein to support their rapid growth!

I totally agree! It’s also crucial to provide clean, fresh water at all times. They can dehydrate quickly, especially in warmer temperatures!

Don’t forget about the environment! Keep their space clean and ensure they have good ventilation but protect them from drafts. They like it warm, around 90°F for the first couple of weeks!

Great point! I also recommend using shavings for bedding to keep their area dry and clean. It helps prevent foot problems!

6 Likes

It’s important to monitor their health closely. Check for signs of respiratory issues or lethargy. If anything seems off, don’t hesitate to consult a vet specializing in poultry.

Absolutely! You might also consider having some vitamin supplements on hand, just in case they need an extra boost.

When it comes to feeding, be sure to introduce new foods gradually. You can switch to a grower feed after about 4 weeks, but for now, stick with that starter feed. Variety is good but moderation is key!

Great advice! And remember not to feed them moldy or spoiled food. Turkeys are very sensitive to bad feed.

If your poult seems shy or stressed, try giving it a few toys or small areas to explore. They’re quite curious and active at this age!

I’ve found that talking to them helps too! They might act a bit skittish at first, but they get used to your voice. It’s fun to have a little dialogue!

Don’t stress too much if they seem a bit clumsy. Just like us, they are still learning! Keep your space safe for them, and they’ll flourish in no time!

8 Likes

So true! But if they start to tumble a lot, it might be worth checking for any issues with their legs or feet.

And let’s not forget about playtime! They need some time outside when they’re a little older. It’s so entertaining to watch them interact!

1 Like

It’s important to balance fun and safety! Can’t have them escaping all over the place. Domesticated turkeys can be quite the troublemakers if given the opportunity!

Also, just a thought, but be prepared for the possibility of aggressive behavior as they age. Some turkeys can be a bit more feisty than you’d expect!

And they might think your shoes are their personal toys! Just an inevitable part of their charm!

6 Likes

I’ve had my turkey poults for a couple of weeks now. Make sure they are warm and have constant access to clean water. Look for signs of lethargy or ruffled feathers; these can be signs of diseases like coccidiosis.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info! My poults seem a bit sluggish at times. I will monitor them closely for any other signs.

It’s crucial to prevent overcrowding in their space. Stress can cause health issues. Also, consider adding some probiotics to their diet to boost their immune system!

6 Likes